Australian Bobbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Old School Bobbers & Choppers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to Radius a Motorcycle Fender

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mato

Mato

How to Radius a Motorcycle Fender Empty
PostSubject: How to Radius a Motorcycle Fender   How to Radius a Motorcycle Fender I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 8:37 am

one more realy good one from Lowbrow Customs
1) This has to be one of the simplest, most effective how-to's I have come across. I was ready to cut slits in my fender, bend and reweld it when I found this how-to by Raz on the JJ. Radius your motorcycle fender to fit your wheel just right with some scrap 2"x4"s.

How to Radius a Motorcycle Fender Untitl16

2) As you can see this fender does not fit the tire at all, there is no side wall clearance and the radius is way off

How to Radius a Motorcycle Fender Untitl23

3) So here's what I do to remedy the fit. Lay the fender on the bench, get some 2"x4"s and place the ends of the 2"x4"s on the rolled edge of the fender (if the fender dos not have a rolled edge I don't think this will work as well)

How to Radius a Motorcycle Fender Untitl18

4) Apply some pressure to the other end of the 2"x4"s, this will push the skirts apart as the fender gets wider the radius will shrink.

How to Radius a Motorcycle Fender Untitl19

5) Work from one end of the fender to the other moving the 2"x4"s in 3" - 4" increments

How to Radius a Motorcycle Fender Untitl20

6) After you have gone from one end to the other check the fit on the tire.........it's not quite there yet.

How to Radius a Motorcycle Fender Untitl21

7) So repeat the proses again this time pushing the end of the 2"x4"s closer together (or increasing the size of the wood block between them), then check the fit again

How to Radius a Motorcycle Fender Untitl22

Cool Now that fits pretty good if you ask me. I'm going to shorten the fender so the bit on the end does not matter.

9) Editor's Note: I used this method to re-radius a 4" duckbill Bates fender and it worked perfectly. I opened it up from 4" to 4-3/4" and it made the radius a bit too tight, so I carefully pressed down on the fender while it was laying on it's side on a wood block, closing it back up to 4-5/8" and it was a perfect fit on my 19" rear wheel. I cut a few different blocks in 1/4" increments to carefully expand the fender, tweaking it to just the right size.
Back to top Go down
https://australianbobbers.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1